This small painting was done using the same palette knife technique I have used in my more recent paintings. I have been pleased with this technique, have gotten comfortable with it, so why can’t I try using the same method on cotton and use it in a quilt…a textile painting! The paint has been flying in the studio this week and through much experimentation I have found a way to paint the cotton and use it in a textile painting that will have the same “voice” as my acrylic paintings. The photo below shows the beginnings…fabric pinned to the design wall.
This is my first attempt at using this new fabric. I used acrylic paint and medium to create the large square (32 inches wide) and the vertical strips in this layout. I played with different combinations of medium and paint and think I have found the right combination. I can spread the paint as I do on canvas, but can also control the build-up, so the fabric will maintain much of its hand and will be “stitchable” without too many problems.
The layers of paint have sealed the fabric, so that if I wish to modify color or design, I can paint on the fabric while it is pinned to the design wall and the color won’t penetrate the cotton and make a mess of my wall. I’m sure I will modify the color on this piece, even though it started as a practice piece.
I am intrigued with this design. If I keep things simple, (a true exercise for me), this piece will work. I pinned the black fabric along the bottom edge…I know it’s not the right size!….because I felt the piece needed some weight and black to play with the black in the strips.
I’ll continue with this textile painting over the next few days. It might actually work…from the studio